Day 10-First Town Day

March 28-Day 10-3.2 mile “Nero”

Sure Foot and I got up at the still dark hour of 6:30. It just starts getting light at 7:00. By 7:30 the sun is rising over the horizon. 

Sun comes up on another day on the AT!

We were on the trail way earlier than we had to be as the shuttle wasn’t picking us up until 11:15, and we only had to hike 3.2 miles to Dicks Creek Gap. Didn’t take a lot of photos, but here’s a couple. 

Bigfoot was here!

This was called Carnes Cascade (there was a little sign that said so). 

We got to the gap at 10:00. Funny thing...the trailhead is posted that it is closed, but look how many cars were in the parking lot!

At the trailhead. 

All day hikers. 

The signs saying the trail is closed are on that kiosk. 

The Budget Inn van arrived to pick us up and drive us the 11 miles into Hiawassee and the Budget Inn where we are staying tonight. The place is aptly named. Definitely no frills, but good WiFi, and coin laundry. 




Nero days (short hiking day) are filled with doing chores. First I wanted to ship home anything I could to lighten/make space in my pack for all the food we have to carry. The post office closed at 12:00, but there was a shipping place called Goin Postal. We hurried over there on our way to the grocery store, only to discover they aren’t open on the weekends due to the virus. BUT, Sure Foot spotted a sign in the window that said “Thru-hikers text (the number) to arrange to ship after hours”. So I texted the number, saying I needed to ship a box home, then we continued on to the Ingles (grocery store). While we were in Ingles, the guy texted me back saying he would be there at 1:00. It was 12:45, so we checked out with what we had, and hot-footed it back to the shipping place. The guy arrived, and boxed up my stuff for me and sent it on it’s way. I got rid of 2.9lbs! That may not seem like much, but we have to carry 10 days of food so we don’t have to go into Franklin, NC (which will be closed as of Monday). I think I’m going to be just a couple pounds heavier than when I started (and it’ll just get lighter with each passing day. 

This is the “extra” food that doesn’t fit in my bear bag. 

Then we took showers (felt soooo good), and did laundry. I feel like true hiker trash now, as I had to wear my rain jacket with nothing on underneath while I was doing laundry. Just an FYI, when it’s about 85 degrees out, and you have nothing on under a rain jacket, you get pretty hot! Almost had to take another shower!!! Also did several other menial tasks like washing cups and spoons, charging battery packs,  and back flushing filters. We had gotten sandwiches and salad at Ingles for dinner tonight. I was even able to get my favorite Humm Coconut Lime kombucha (made in Bend, OR). 

The group that has been sometimes with us, but behind us the last two days, came in to the Inn tonight. I poked my head out the door, and said, “Hey guys!” They all turned, and said, “Two Wheels!” Yes, I keep forgetting to mention my trail name is Two Wheels! 

So, we will shuttle back to the trail at 9:00 tomorrow. The plan is to do just 9 or so miles. We’ll continue to keep on keepin on until we can’t anymore. Hopefully, that’ll be Maine, but who knows...

Oh, if we were thinking of getting off trail and going home, the only place one can rent a car is at the airport in Atlanta. No thanks...




Comments

  1. Now, having an "official" train name, no matter what may come as far as trail closure potential ... you are a "real" AT thru hiker!!! Congratulations on receiving a fitting trail name!
    Also, awesome sunrise picture at the top of this post! Your blog is almost like being on the trail, thanks for excellent and compelling commentary and pictures! Matt

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Day 158-Safety First

Day 159-My Exit Plan is Set...Mostly

Day 160-The Last Post of My AT Three 20s Hike