Day 158-Safety First

Aug 23-zero at Crawford Notch Campground

It’s strange to write this post when the last three posts have not been uploaded yet, but here goes...

Sure Foot and I had a long, tearful (on both our parts) discussion about whether it was safe for me to continue hiking, in light of the fact that Mt. Washington is very difficult and dangerous, especially with knees that are refusing to cooperate. Not only is Sure Foot concerned about me ruining my knees completely, but I am concerned about putting Sure Foot in danger trying to help me. I know he would do anything to help me down the mountain, but that might cause him harm too. I can’t do that. So, we decided the safest thing to do is for me to end my hike here. I know it seems like I’m so close to the end, and relatively speaking, that is true. But, the miles to come are much more dangerous and challenging than the previous 1800 miles. 

Complicating matters with my knees, is also my depth perception issues. Before, when I could trust my knees, if I misjudged a step with my eyes, it just meant a harder or wonky landing. Now when I misjudge a step, I have a lot of pain in my knees. Previously, ibuprofen was allowing me to have significantly less pain during much of the day. Now, it is barely covering the pain which, on my right side, is extending up to my hip, and down to my ankle. Consequently, I am very slow, and it’s difficult to get the miles in. 

Tomorrow we are moving to the AMC Highland Center (about 7 miles from here). I need to get WiFi/service so I can figure out my exit strategy. Sure Foot needs to be able to check the weather forecast for Mt. Washington, and plan his hike over the mountain. 

There is a pay phone here, but it doesn’t work. This morning the owner(?) let me use the phone so I could call Lorri (Mosey’s wife) and let her know we did make it to the road. She said we just missed her. She had come up when she thought we would be done, but left just 5 minutes before we got there. Today she was moving on to meet up with Mosey and Irish. 

So, while I don’t like quitting things, I think this is the safest thing for me to do...not only for me, but for Sure Foot too. I have no doubt that, without me slowing him down, he’ll make it to Katahdin. He’s been my best friend out here, and I  will miss him. But, for the moment, we have at least a day more together. 

So, there is at least one photo in this otherwise depressing post...

Our resident campsite chipmunk. 

Comments

  1. It’s been a journey following your amazing travels up and down mountains and over many, many rocks. What a terrific way to spend five months. I’ve enjoyed every step :) Don’t feel bad. Feel proud. What an extraordinary effort. Hope those knees fix themselves soon- just in time to get back on your bike. (From Dorothy’s sister Bev in Australia)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have no idea why I have the name H1N1 mortality!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have loved reading your blog. In Scotland, where covid regulations mean no travelling this year. Met you (I think) in Canada, when I was cycing from Seattle to Toronto in 2017. Well done, so much more difficult to carry your load than put it on a bike. Well done and safe travels

    ReplyDelete
  4. It makes me really sad to read this post, but you are making the right decision. Once your knee is better, you may be able to return to this area to finish your hike (even if it is not this year.). I'll bet Doug will finish it with you. He loves the Whites. Good luck with your recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Colleen, This is an amazing achievement. After some knee TLC I know you will finish it another year. It has been a privilege reading about your journey and I have been really thankful I was reading not experiencing it superwoman!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was hiking director for a boys sports camp in NH in 1983. White Mountains are tough. Great work getting where you did and best wishes on a full recovery!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Day 159-My Exit Plan is Set...Mostly

Day 160-The Last Post of My AT Three 20s Hike