Day 38-So Long, Farewell, to North Carolina...Finally!

April 25-11.1 miles (actually 11.5 with the blue blaze to Overmountain Barn) Stan Murray Shelter to The Station at 19E AT mile 395.3

Well, we’ve gone and done it! We’ve finally left the State of North Carolina for good, but more on that in a minute. 

Last night the fog was like the proverbial pea soup around 11:00, then the stars were out about 4:00, then back to pea soup by the time I was getting up to start another day of hiking. Cool thing, at about 4:00, there were at least three Barred Owls hooting a chorus around my tent. If it had been light enough, I’m sure I could have seen them in the trees. They actually woke me up with their partying. I hear them frequently. I’d love to see one. 

We were on trail at 8:00. In a couple of miles we came to the blue blaze trail for the Overmountain barn. Up until this year, it was a shelter, but due to the fact that it is a bit dangerous, it has been decommissioned. Tenting is still allowed (40 feet from the barn). We met a couple of guys that we saw yesterday that were just out for an overnight. Brian and Isaac, I think father and son, had camped near the barn. The view was pretty nice. 

The former shelter 

View of the valley from the shelter 

Where people would sleep, but no more. 

Don’t know if this is readable, but it tells how the Overmountain Men used this route during the Revolutionary War. 

The Gap at the turn for the shelter was Yellow Gap. From there we started the climb up Little Hump. We climbed higher and higher back into the fog and wind. When we got to the top, I yelled, “Little Hump, we have conquered thee!” Of course, there was only this to see. 

Yup...nothing but fog. 

Not too long after coming down off Little Hump, we started up Hump Mtn. It didn’t seem like it was much higher than Little Hump, so I was thinking of it as Little Bit Bigger Hump. That may have been true, but with the fog and the wind, and then the rain (I had to finally stop and put my disgustingly muddy rain pants back on), it seemed like it was A Lot Bigger Hump Mtn. Again, we could see nothing. I bet it would be spectacular on a clear day. 

At the top, another tribute to Stan. 

That’s it for a view. 

The trail was slow going down as there were rocks, mud, and a very narrow deep trail in many places. I was glad to finally get back into the trees. 

The descent seemed to go on forever, but I finally reached Doll Flats (only briefly flat), and the final bit of North Carolina. 

Pretty view down in the valley. However, we didn’t go that way. That would have meant staying in NC. Nope. 

Lovely fast bit of trail. 

Finally leaving North Carolina for good!

Flat Will was glad to be leaving NC too. 

We still had some substantial downhill to go, and it was not easy. Lots of big rocks, along with the usual roots and mud. It mostly stopped raining though, so that was a bonus. 

While we were still up, and about 2 miles from highway 19E, I called The Station at 19E to variety that they were indeed open. David said, “Heck yeah, we’re open for hikers!” That was music to my ears! I arranged for him to pick us up at 3:30, figuring it would take me about 1 1/2 hours due to the fact that I am a turtle on the steep downhills. Fortunately, it wasn’t all steep, and we managed to make it to the highway at about 3:00. David picked us up and drove us to the hostel. He said they provide everything, and if they don’t have it, they’ll run into town for us and get it. $30 includes a bunk with linens (some charge extra), shower with towel, and free laundry with detergent, and...loaner clothes! Im sporting an orange t-shirt, and some Stalin’ black with white polka dot pants! They also serve pub style food. They have a bazillion craft beers, and even a nice selection of ciders. I had Cider Donut. It was very good with a bit of cinnamon. I also had fish and chips and a fudge bar. 

We are taking our first zero since Franklin tomorrow. Weather is supposed to be yucky. Here’s some photos of the hostel. I’ll take more tomorrow. 

My bunk. Notice the fireplace! Warm!

The kitchen. We can help ourselves to anything. 

In the pub. 





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 158-Safety First

Day 159-My Exit Plan is Set...Mostly

Day 160-The Last Post of My AT Three 20s Hike