Day 70-Back to Rain, But at Least it’s Warm

May 27-14.8 miles-Thunder Hill Shelter to Glasgow Shelter-AT mile 787.3

The sun was nice...while it lasted. Today was back to rain. But, it was not cold, and we were coming into the town of Glasgow. 

We hit the trail fairly early, so we could get to town early. I didn’t take many photos, but I saw four of my little orange friends. 

This one is on moss (I’m collecting photos of my little orange friends on different surfaces). 

We only crossed the BRP once today. Near the crossing was the Thunder Ridge Lookout. 

The non-view view. 

I caught up to Dusty, and we decided we would go to the Glasgow Shelter instead of Stanimals Hostel. The hostel seemed to be doing a bit of price gouging. 

We hiked together to Matt’s Creek Shelter to eat some lunch. Sure Foot caught up to us just after we reached the shelter. It was at the shelter that we realized we only had 2.3 miles to go, and no climbing. Now, one might think, yay, but it also meant we no longer had cell service. We needed cell service to call for the shuttle to bring us into Glasgow (we were suppose to call from the ridge above. Whoops! We’d have to hitch. 

We walked the remaining 2.3, crossing the James River on the longest foot bridge on the AT. 









Dusty out front. 

We got to the road. Cars would go by, but no one was willing to stop. Finally, I used my reverse karma. There were a few vehicles coming. I said they weren’t going to stop (we still stuck out our thumbs). The last vehicle, a pickup, pulled in and let us hop in the back. 

We were so grateful! It was a long walk into town on a not-so-safe road. 

The Glasgow Shelter is a free shelter for thru-hikers in the middle of town. 

It has triple decker bunks. Siddhartha, Boomerang, and Garlic were already here. The shelter, on a good year, has a hot shower (not this year) and a microwave (not this year). It does have electricity, so we can charge devices. There is a restaurant and a Dollar General nearby, as well as a laundromat (which we are at as I write this). All the things we need. Amanda will be joining us tonight too!





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 158-Safety First

Day 159-My Exit Plan is Set...Mostly

Day 160-The Last Post of My AT Three 20s Hike