Day 101-These Rocks Will NOT Beat Me!

June 27-17.2 miles-Pine Grove to Eagle’s Nest Shelter-AT mile 1211.2

This morning we looked out the window of the hotel to see it was raining. It stopped before we caught the shuttle back to the trail, but started again for awhile while we were hiking. 

Not raining here yet. 

Because it had rained, I saw a few of my little orange friends. 



Look! A twofer!

We were supposed to have a couple of views in the first two miles. 

Nope, no view today.

The rocks were out in full force today. 

There actually wasn’t too many sections like this. Mostly, it’s the smaller ankle-busting, foot-killers. They were not fun. I started out being really careful to protect my feet. I step as much as possible on flat areas. In many areas there just aren’t any flat areas. 

Sure Foot and I got to the 1200 mile mark (Dusty was, per the usual, ahead).



Flat Will and LB


And me too. You can see I have my rain jacket on. It rained again for awhile. I was able to take it off at lunch. 

Sure Foot and I stopped at the only actual view for the day and ate our lunch. 

As you can see, it wasn’t much of a view. 

After lunch, the rocks continued. My feet were hurting, even though I was being careful, so I said to myself, screw it! I’m not letting these rocks beat me! I started fairly stomping through the rocks. My poles probably took the brunt of the force (I really shouldn’t pound my poles into the ground as I need them to set up my tent). I was chanting as I was stomping, “These rocks will NOT beat me!” I also thought about Grandma Gatewood (hiked the AT in the 50s in a pair of Keds), and how I had much better shoes (even though they are worn out...probably why my feet are hurting so much...Three more days, and I’ll have new shoes). 

Sure Foot and I arrived at the shelter together. There are a number of people here. One pair (friends) are also going north, but section hiking. Another guy is section hiking south. He gave us the good news that we have more rocks to look forward to. Goody, can’t wait! I might actually take Ibuprofen in the morning (haven’t had to do that yet, but these rocks are murdering my feet). At least we only have 14.7 miles tomorrow (plus the .3 to get back to the trail from the shelter).







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 158-Safety First

Day 159-My Exit Plan is Set...Mostly

Day 160-The Last Post of My AT Three 20s Hike