Day 104-Knife Edge and Other Badness

June 30-17.9 miles-Allentown Shelter to Dave and Squeak’s in Palmerton-AT mile 1260.3

Now for today...
As you might expect by now, the rocks continued. First we had to do a little thing called Knife Edge. Seriously, who planned this trail???

Dusty and Sure Foot up ahead

Andy doing a great job on the rocks. 

See the white blazes?

The going up, while scary, was not too bad. The going down was absolutely terrifying. Dusty grabbed my pack so I could slide down most of it on my butt (sorry, no photos of that horribleness). I did not enjoy that at all! 

Then we’d have a bit of actual trail before coming to the next pile of rock crap, then another, and another. I came to dread climbing up, because it seemed to always end with a pile of big rocks. 

Bake Oven Knob (definitely not an Easy Bake Oven)

The view from Bake Oven Knob. 

On one of the last piles, Sure Foot took a tumble when his pack hit a big branch and sent him backwards. He’s got some abrasions, and he’ll be sore tomorrow, but he’s okay. 

Another joy of today was scarce water. So, on top of having to carry packs over the rocks, we had to carry extra water. Except, we didn’t. Turns out a person named Mun put water caches along the trail. The first one even had my favorite oatmeal cream cookies!

A great treat in the morning 

Lots of water!

Finally, with about 5 miles to go, I dumped the extra water I was carrying. Funny thing, on a day where I wasn’t going to have access to water, I was probably the most hydrated I’ve been for awhile! 

We worked our way down down down to the Lehigh River. 



See that mountain? We will climb that. It’s all rocks. 

Four days ago, I had contacted Trail Angel, Squeak and her husband Dave (Dave’s Shuttle) about staying with them in Palmerton. We had planned to stay at Sunny Rest Resort, but it turned out to be wildly expensive ($67 for 2 people in tents, and another $67 for the third person...nope...however, we did pick up our packages we had sent there). Dave and Squeak allow hikers to camp in their backyard, shower, and do laundry all for free. Dave shuttled to and from the trail. I haven’t taken photos yet, but I will tomorrow, as we are taking a zero here. It’s pretty wild. The neighbors (and the landlord of Dave and Squeak) have music going, and periodically set off fireworks. I’m just glad I don’t have to get up early tomorrow. 

Sure Foot, Dusty, and I went to dinner at an Italian restaurant. It was one of the first times we have dined in. They only allow a few tables, but it was nice. 

So, as I said, Sure Foot and I are taking a zero here tomorrow. Dusty has decided to go home. She is missing her family (and they her). “The Grands” will be no more. Our little trio has been fun, but Sure Foot and I will be fine. We’ll continue plugging along, putting the miles behind us as we work our way to Katahdin. 

Dusty’s last AT mile (waiting in the rain for Dave to come get us).

And finally, I got my third pair of shoes. I hope my feet will feel better with the new shoes. 

Adios stinky shoes! Enjoy your new life as a planter box at Squeak and Dave’s!




Comments

  1. Just bought some new Hokas today! Heike and I are 1/4of the way thru the Colorado trail

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Day 158-Safety First

Day 159-My Exit Plan is Set...Mostly

Day 160-The Last Post of My AT Three 20s Hike