Day 138-Stratton Mtn, and Stratton Pond

Aug 3-15.1 trail miles plus .6 to the campsite-Kid Gore tenting to Stratton Pond tenting-AT trail mile 1643.3

The rain sure came down last night! Everything was nice and dry in my tent. After the storm, for awhile, the moon was my nightlight. 

There was a pretty strong breeze all day today. That was quite refreshing since we had to climb Stratton Mtn. I think this is the first day in a long time that my stinky pink shirt wasn’t soaking wet with sweat!

There was also quite a bit of mud today. 

I am balanced on a log in the middle of the mud bog. I tried something different today. I tucked my pants into my gaiters. It did seem to keep them a little cleaner, except when I would accidentally whack my leg with a muddy trekking pole. Not helpful!

About 4 hours in, we started the climb up Stratton Mtn. It was 3.5 miles, but not all of that was steep. In fact, it wasn’t too bad. There was a section of big rocks, but it wasn’t too long. 

There was a harder section of rock scrambling just after the first shelter this morning (I didn’t take any photos). 

At the top of Stratton was a fire tower. Since great views were to be had by climbing up, I did. 

Almost to the summit. 

Notice how the stairs go diagonally. 



Over on the top of that next peak is a gondola. I thought the AT went by it, but it doesn’t. In a normal year hikers can take the gondola down to Stratton Resort. There is a side trail from the summit of Stratton. 

See the pond? That is Stratton Pond. That’s where we are camped tonight. 

As you can tell, Flat Will is enjoying the view too. 



There’s Sure Foot down below (he climbed up, but just high enough for a view). 

The climb down Stratton wasn’t too bad after the initial rocky part, but I was getting pretty tired, so it still wasn’t much fun. 

Once we reached Stratton Pond, we had to walk .6 miles around the pond to some designated camp sites. Guthook said it was an easy flat trail. That was a lie. The only true part was that it was flat. It was rocky, rooty, and muddy. At the end of a long day, it is no fun to have to do more crappy trail that isn’t even the AT!

Tonight’s water source is, of course, the pond. If I had a suit, I would have gone in for a dip. But, besides that, it was also 6:00, and I still had to set up my tent. 

See? NOT an easy trail!

Stratton Mtn and Stratton Pond. It was 3.2 miles from the fire tower to the pond (plus .6 to where this photo was taken). 

Zoomed in, you can just see the fire tower above the shady part. 

The left side of the mountain is where the gondola is. 

That’s about it for today. Here’s a final parting shot. 

I call this “Shrooms With Rock and Moss”. 

Update: I just heard the first Loon!!!






Comments

  1. Beautiful photos. I hope you are having hiking as I am reading about it. Thanks. I am so happy I know you. 😁🤗

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful photos. I hope you are having hiking as I am reading about it. Thanks. I am so happy I know you. 😁🤗

    ReplyDelete
  3. You don't need a suit to go swimming, just saying....

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Day 158-Safety First

Day 159-My Exit Plan is Set...Mostly

Day 160-The Last Post of My AT Three 20s Hike