Day 145-A Ladder Kind of Day

Aug 10-14 miles-Gifford Woods SP to The Lookout Cabin-AT mile 1721.4

I set my alarm for 5:15 this morning, but when it went off, I realized it was too dark. Yes, the days are getting shorter...

I was still on the trail by 6:45. Walked by Kent Pond. 

Good morning Kent Pond! See the mountain? We had to climb that today...Quimby Mtn. 

The trail was nice and flat...for awhile. We came to Thundering Falls. I can imagine they would be pretty thundering in the Spring. Now, not so much, but still nice. 

Not so Thundering Falls. 

Curiously, there were these two houses right by the falls. Once again, the AT is never too far from civilization. 

This boardwalk led across a swampy part near the falls. 

Ah yes, easy walking!

It was the last “easy walking for, well, the rest of the day. After the boardwalk, and across a gravel road, we started the climb up Quimby. It was quite the climb! Steep, but the trail was pretty good, not too many big rocks or steps. I was dripping sweat in no time!

After Quimby, the rest of the day was short and medium ups and downs...a lot of them. I used to hate them, okay, I still do, but it’s better than long downhills (which usually follow long uphills). 

Coming down one, I came to this. 

No need to route the trail around the cliff, just put a ladder! The one bad thing about the ladder was that yellow jackets built a nest (or nests) in the holes. I was fine going down. Irish was fine too, but when Mosey went to go down, they were circling. Somehow, he found a different way to go down. 

We also went through a strange part where they were logging. We couldn’t see them, but we could hear the machines, and see the evidence next to the trail. 

Pretty ugly. 

The trail went across a few bulldozed dirt “roads”. 

We planned to go to “The Lookout”. It’s a privately owned cabin. There is no water, so we had to carry extra for 2.4 miles up a rather lengthy climb.

There’s only a few decent tent sites. Mosey and Irish went on to the next shelter. Mosey left a Gatorade bottle full of water and a note saying they were going on. They would have probably gotten here around 3:00. I imagine they realized there weren’t many tent sites, and knew Sure Foot and I couldn’t go another 2.5 miles to that shelter. They are nice guys like that. 

As I said, The Lookout Cabin is privately owned. Basically it is an enclosed cabin (glass windows and a door) that they allow hikers to stay in. I think there were probably some mice that live there too. The claim to fame of the cabin is the platform on top. 

Yay! Another ladder to climb!

Pano of the view

Flat Will thought of playing Santa and going down the chimney. I talked him out of it. 

It is a bit down there. 

My right knee is pretty puffy tonight, but doesn’t hurt any more or less than it has been. Shorter downhills probably helped, but we still did 14 miles, so that probably didn’t help. Two more days, and we’ll be in Norwich, VT. We’ll take a zero there. Give my knees a rest. I’ll also get my new shoes, and a trail magic box from my friend Kim! Can’t wait!






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 158-Safety First

Day 159-My Exit Plan is Set...Mostly

Day 160-The Last Post of My AT Three 20s Hike