Day 149-So Glad I did it Southbound!

Aug 14-14 miles-Kinsman Notch to NH 25C

Today was the first day of slackpacking. The shuttle driver was a little bit late, so I didn’t get to the trailhead until 8:30. 

By the way, I’m in New Hampshire. However, I won’t get the border sign until I cross the bridge from Hanover to Norwich in a few days. I’ll be hopping back and for while I’m slackpacking, as I will be sleeping at the hostel in Norwich each night. 

The climb up Moosilauke started pretty quickly. One of the reasons I am slackpacking southbound is because the north side of Moosilauke is very very steep. It is much easier (and it’s not easy) to go up it instead of down. 

The beginning of wood steps bolted to the rock. 

Followed the waterfall all the way up. 

Looking back down

More steps as I climb beside the waterfall. 

It took me 3 1/2 hours to go 3.8 miles to the summit. Near the top, I passed the 1800 mile mark, but of course I won’t have done those miles until I return to Kinsman Notch to hike north. 

A view not too far from the summit. 

Getting above tree line. 

Cairns to mark the trail. 

Follow the rocky trail!

The summit at last!

Pano from the summit. 

LB and Flat Will made it too (so did a lot of other people).



Starting down, the trail was very nice. It was much less steep going down the south side. 

Looking back up to the summit. Goodbye Moosilauke!

At about 3:00 I realized there was no way I was going to have enough daylight to do the planned 17 miles for today. I called the hostel and said I would be going with Plan B, and getting off at 25C. I still had 6 miles to go to 25C (9 to Cape Moonshine Rd), and another mountain to climb. 

Well, I actually did the 6 miles in 2 hours and 45 minutes. I got to the road at 5:45. I’ve written most of this post while waiting for the shuttle driver to pick me up at 7:00. He made it by 6:45, so now I’m back at the hostel. 

Since I’m going with the easier plan, tomorrow will be a shorter day. Since I probably won’t get to the trailhead until maybe 7:45, that’s okay. Besides, I’ll be able to take it easy. 

My knees did okay today without the weight of my full pack. I actually enjoyed being a day hiker today!



Comments

  1. Keep going, 2 Wheels, you've got this!! /one of your PNW hiking buddies

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Day 158-Safety First

Day 159-My Exit Plan is Set...Mostly

Day 160-The Last Post of My AT Three 20s Hike