Day 154-The Notch Hostel...When in Doubt, Look for a Sign

Aug 19-zero day at The Notch Hostel

Boy howdy, were my knees not happy this morning! It’s just after 7:00 as I am writing this, and they are starting to feel better. I’m so glad we took a zero today (actually, if we wanted to have our laundry done, we had no choice...we still don’t have our clothes back). 

Like I said in yesterday’s post, this hostel is a well-oiled machine. It’s kind of funny, because there are signs everywhere telling what the rules are, how to flush the toilet, even where the bath mat goes. If we have any questions, just look around, there is probably a sign. Here’s a few photos of the hostel. 

The Notch Hostel is an old farmhouse. Our room is on the third floor. 

My bed. 

The gear shed where our packs and shoes have to stay. 

Even signs to tell how far we have to go. 

Lorri, Mosey’s wife, is here. She took us to Lincoln so I could mail home my day pack, get our resupply, and get some lunch. She will also shuttle us back to the trail in the morning. Annnnd...when we get to our next resupply, she will shuttle us there too! 

This afternoon I had just woken up from a nap, when I heard a gal say, “Two Wheels!”  It was Crazy Quilt! Her and Lisa and Teri were at Norwich. They’ve been slackpacking with their own vehicles. Technically, they are behind Sure Foot and I. They still have to do Mt. Cube, and Kinsman Ridge. CQ and I spent some time going over plans. 

CQ and me. 

Sure Foot and my plan has been done by Sure Foot. He knows the White Mountains well. I told him I was turning over the planning to him, since he is familiar with the terrain and the campsites. Our next stretch is 2 1/2 days. Tomorrow we start Franconia Ridge. It’s supposed to be beautiful. I’ll be back to carrying my full pack. 

When we were in Lincoln today, I saw the cafe where I had eaten when I was on my bike tour from Minneapolis to Maine. Lincoln is at the base of the Kancamagus Hwy (“The Kanc”). It was the highest pass I did on that bike tour. So weird to be here again!





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 158-Safety First

Day 159-My Exit Plan is Set...Mostly

Day 160-The Last Post of My AT Three 20s Hike