Day 160-The Last Post of My AT Three 20s Hike

Aug 25th

As I’m sitting here in Conway, NH, waiting for my bus to Boston, I thought I’d write this last post. Maybe make it a retrospective of sorts. I also wanted to take a moment and thank some of the people that made parts of this hike really enjoyable. 

161 days ago I walked into the hostel at Dahlonega and saw a guy sitting in the chair. Of course, that was Doug, later to be named by me, Sure Foot. Little did I know I would spend the next 160 days with this guy!


I firmly believe that if it weren’t for Sure Foot, my hike would have ended long ago. We made a good team, him and I. He had the hiking experience, and I...well...I had good ears! We made each other laugh, and we kept each other going, even when we both had decided to quit in North Carolina when the whole COVID mess made it hard to see how we could proceed. I will always be grateful for his knowledge, experience, and most of all, friendship. Sure Foot, I miss you already!

At one point, I wrote about our “Curse of the Third Person”. We would gain a third member of our duo, only to lose them at some point. This happened 4 times! The two that stayed the longest were Smiley, and Dusty. Smiley gave us three the name, “The Geritol Posse”. It was fitting. I enjoyed Smiley’s attitude and determination. Dusty hiked with us for over 6 weeks. Those were intense days where we hiked during some really challenging weather, and some really long miles. Most days we would still have moments when we would be rolling with laughter for any number of reasons. Oftentimes, we were easily entertained! Even when I was an exhausted grump (Rocksylvania, I hated you!), we managed to get up and go again the next morning. Dusty was great at snagging us rides, and meeting the right people at the right time. 


Smiley

At McAfee Knob, a highlight of our time together. 

There were numerous “Trail Angels” that saved our hike. I felt so lucky to have met Lydia at the very beginning (before I even met Sure Foot). I thought it was amazing that people would just pick you up and take you where you needed to go! Lydia, I know you’ll read this, and I am still so thankful for you getting me off on the right foot!


Ron Havens truly saved our hike during the height of COVID in North Carolina. He helped so many hikers stay on the trail, us included. I enjoyed staying at Baltimore Jacks, and getting to hear Ron’s stories. 

Truly a hike saver!

Amazing trail angels, Dave and Squeak, not only let us camp in their backyard, but Dave even slackpacked me up Lehigh Gap where the rock climb would have been very scary with my full pack. Such dedicated people for the hiker community!

Squeak and us. 

Charlie was one of the many shuttle drivers we used to get into town and back on the trail. The difference with Charlie is that he ended up shuttling us four times! And always donation based. 

Charlie...scruffy looking, but heart of gold. 

I also made some great friends on the trail. Forward’s journey was short, but I met her the night before we started, then off and on for a few days until she got injured. Luckily, I got to see her again when she met us and provided trail magic. And she’s been keeping track of me ever since!


Primo, Fairweather, Siddhartha, Mosey and Irish, Garlic , Music Man, Boomerang, and the Fantastic, Blueberry, Greenbean, and Chilly Posse...while I didn’t spend much time hiking with these people, I saw the numerous times, and was happy to see them and keep in contact via text. We all helped each other with tips about what was coming up. 


Primo and Sruff

Garlic

Siddhartha 

Garlic, Boomerang, Music Man and us. 

Greenbean, Chilly, Fantastic, and Blueberry

Irish and Mosey

The Norwich Hostel/Hanover Adventure Tours was my favorite hostel. It was the longest I stayed in one place. It started to feel like home! Frosty, Jane, and the whole team were awesome. 

Frosty

Jane

Lastly, to the people at home who followed me, encouraged me, and supported my decision to end this adventure, I love you all, and can’t wait to get back to normal life! A special thanks to Kim who sent me a box of goodies. That really lifted my spirits! And to those of you who made videos at the party before I left, you have no idea how many times I watched them! I watched them at momentous places, I watched them when I needed the emotional boost, and I watched them just to have a laugh. Thanks for all the encouragement!

I will end this before it becomes a novel (or, I guess, a memoir). I am satisfied that I made it as far as I did (AT mile 1847.6). Currently, I have no plans to come back and finish. As I think I said a few times (maybe more), this long distance hiking thing is not really for me. 

Two Wheels over and out!










Comments

  1. The US has gone insane while you were hiking. Safe travels back home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations, and thanks for all your wonderful posts!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Day 158-Safety First

Day 159-My Exit Plan is Set...Mostly